12 Comments

1. Why isn’t there an AMEN! button on these things? I totally agree. God forbid your kid does have a meltdown in the store. Everyone looks at you like you shouldn’t even be allowed kids.

2. SO MUCH YES.

We as parents, shouldn’t need to defend the choices we make to raise our children, but unfortunately, we have to sometimes.

3. Amanda

YES! I for one am so sick of being told that I’m doing something wrong, um no I’m not. You are not at home or around my child to know how he behaves or what’s been tried already. And don’t get me started on whiny, self in titled kids. It really is a shame that parents feel like they have to tip toe around not only other adults but their children as well. I look around at kids (including my own) and think wow I never would have acted like that, my mom would have beat me and I was better off because of it.

1. Yes! People think they know everything from a short glimpse (COUGH the person who sent a very rude comment that I didn’t publish COUGH). It’s sad.

4. Sarah

Major reason why I choose not to breed. I’m told duct tape is frowned upon greatly. Awesome article JC, you’re right on all counts in my opinion.

5. Absolutely JC!!!! Having 3 boys, one with ADHD, I will parent them the way I choose. Yes that means that they get spankings. I got whippings growing up and I’m a respectable and independent adult; not some self-entitled shit for brains! So when you see me spank one of my boys with my hand, don’t say a word!! Because I’m raising GENTLEMEN not young men who think the world owes them! You do what you need to do JC!! <3

1. I got the wooden spoon when I was SUPER bad LMAO! You keep on with your rockin’ self too, mama. 😉

6. Christian

I can say that í am old school with a mix of try and see if it works and stick to it.
    Can you imagine being a mother with invisible special needs and three kids with invisible special needs as well.? I am talking ADHD, LD, ODD, PST along those lines.
    I have had in my 14 years of parenting my fair share of humiliation, not so much for what my kids have done, nop, by adults who see a young immigrant single mother. That alone qualifies me as a bad parent, next we have CCAS. That if they are involved no matter what parenting style or effort or anything you do for your kids is in the best interest of your children would be ok for them if it is not on the book, and depending on the worker if it is ok with their own personal perception. I recently graduated from humiliation 101 by being humiliated in front of the court and qualified as a terrible mother by a judge who swallowed all the lies from CCAS. I do not think that any mother ever deserves to received such treatment for faithfully looking after their children. Parenting in this day and age is nearly impossible.

1. I am so sorry Christian. I can’t imagine how difficult that is. I wish I could give you a big hug right now. I don’t know why it’s so hard…if you love your kids and you’re taking care of them and providing everything they need…why the rule books with 1000 ways to fail? 🙁

7. I am a grandparent …Little G is 26 months old, so although out of touch..am suddenly ”in touch” with what you say. It’s a hard one. When I grew up, in the UK in the 1950s, a lot of abuse and negligence was just shrugged off. Now, we are all more aware, and quicker to step in on the child’s side.
    That’s the good bit. On the less good bit, you are right, parenting is hedged about with ”rights and wrongs” far more and I know from my daughter, it is hard as a working mum to find that free space to be herself. As you say, I think in the end, you MUST do what you think is correct for your child.
    Nobody can parent him/her but you. Nobody knows him like you. Nobody loves him like you. That’s the bottom line. ….and yes, I have had a whole bus stare hard at me and tut when Little G had a meltdown coz of a new tooth. And I got up, Turned round and said :’hey, she’s teething. So YOU may not like the screams, but I assure you SHE is in far more pain.’ Shut them up nicely.