17 Comments

1. Liz

Hugs! I’m finally receiving helpful treatment for fibromyalgia but things still aren’t easy. One of the first things to go when the pain kicked in was my ability to write and some of the meds I tried made putting simple sentences together impossible. I’m doing better, but it’s always there. I totally agree with your sentiments and thank you so much for your posting. Your strength and voice in sharing this give encouragement to others =)

2. My daughter has fibromyalgia. She looks ok but is in pain every moment of every day. It breaks my heart to see the pain in her eyes. She hardly ever complains but has very little energy. Her husband is an absolute saint and takes on so much.
    It annoys me that I’m this day and age when we have so much scientific knowledge that we can’t ease pain.
    Keep explaining to people when you have the energy. The rest of us need to learn.

3. Cathy

Just a thought, have you ever considered recording your books verbally and then have them typed up? Or would that be more overwhelming?

Now that I’m older, I have trouble with my wrists and thumbs so I c an imagine the pain you are in. It would be a shame to waste your talent because it’s too painful to type. An English writer, Catherine Cookson dictated her last book or two because she was almost blind, bedridden and couldn’t grasp a pen let alone type. Cos as she said, the story is there and begging to be heard and it didn’t matter she was in her 90’s lol

1. I’ve avoided it only because the speech-to-text apps never catch what I’m saying and I figured it’d be a nightmare but maybe I’ll look into it 😉

Thank you for sharing that inspiring story about Catherine Cookson!

4. Sandra

I can barely care for myself, can’t imagine bringing children into the mix.
    I’m glad I never had the desire to have any,especially after the chronic pain. It wouldn’t be fair to them as well.

1. Thank you for your perspective. Parents live with a variety of chronic illnesses. It’s important to appreciate diversity in this world.

5. Diana

I understand your point of view from a younger person well from an older person sometimes we have to deal with disorders like heart pain which is so different. There is also severe arthritis and for herniated discs and degenerating discs pain is horrible being young shouldn’t be painful and being old should be painful at least that’s what I’ve heard from Dr pain medicine helps but it doesn’t help the emotional side that drains away

6. Jacqueline Walden

Good morning fibromyalgia family hope you all will I’m doing wonderful today praise God and I hope you are to pray for you Jacqueline Walden

7. Superwoman

I feel like I’ve just read my life! I work 4 days now and had to give up my physically and mentally and emotionally demanding career that I’ve trained for my whole life to take a much easier job, about a 60% pay decrease and I still can’t manage to cope with my life because I’m sooooo tired. The pain is just about bearable because I’ve forgotten what it’s like not to be in pain …. but I just cannot seem to get use to running off 4-5 hours sleep maximum a night. Kills me! If only everyone else understood … even just occasionally? So well written – bravo!

8. I live with chronic pain, and have since 93. I know, all to well what you describe. I haven’t slept straight through in, oh, maybe 15 years. I have my drugs but, they only take the extreme edge off, and I will not go back to stronger drugs. So, I end up “sucking up” more pain than a person should be allowed to. Part of my time with chronic pain was with kids, tween and teen years. And taking care of their Mom as she lay dying at home, for 6 months. Cancer, and I did everything a nurse would have done.
    So, I applaud you. I’ve always thought mom’s are heroes, especially single moms. (have no clue about your status) And if they have physical issues to boot, wow, such strength.
    Now, I am worse, can barely walk, have bad leg, arm, hand spasms ONLY,when laying down. BUT, being so young (56), I am not giving up. If anything, my 20 year Navy career has taught me, is to always fight through adversity. I am now on a 3-4 year journey, towing my camper, all over this beautiful country, alone. S,N,E and west, mountains, deserts, plains, dirt roads, trails, beaches, ponds, lakes, rivers and streams. My motto is, “NEVER give up, NEVER give in, PUSH yourself relentlessly, you’ll feel better about yourself and your life.
    So, I applaud you, keep on keepin on young lady. GOOD FOR YOU!!!

The website link is my FB site to document my journey, and thoughts I may have.

9. Marj

Thank you for this. I have truly felt alone dealing with the struggle of chronic pain every day until I saw your blog. You are my hero and pain warrior

10. dawn Stoliker

I do still work full time. I keep worrying one day I won’t be able to get up. I have to give it my all at work just to pretend I’m fine, and not draw attention to myself. Sad thing is that I work in the healthcare field, so you would think my employer/coworkers would have empathy – nope. I “look fine” smile at the patients and suffer in silence at my desk. I get eye rolls, as I have limitations, and can easily hurt/strain myself. They don’t understand that the smallest things can totally set me off kilter, As though I am “seeking attention”. Trust me, the last thing I want is that type of attention. Then, I get home, all I can do is unpack from the day, and repack for the next day, then pray for bedtime to come, which I am unsure why, as bedtime does not equal sleep. I have an 8 year old, and I find I have nothing left for him. I feel so guilty, for this, and ashamed of all I can’t seem to accomplish. My home is a disaster, and I can’t do anything about it. I just don’t have it in me.